06 October 2011

Problem solved

I have had two problems over the last few months which have been driving me insane. In the grand scheme of things they are not life-shattering, but the sort of little niggles that worm around in your head at 3 o'clock in the morning and are still there when you finally get out of bed. They are still there when when you muse whilst waiting for the kettle to boil and kick you in the butt when you look out of the window. The only solutions are either very difficult to contemplate or downright impossible. The problems just stare you back in the face and refuse to be solved.

However I think I have a guardian angel or someone watching over me to help. It's as if they give me a while, a few months or so, to sort the problem on my own and when they can no longer watch my fumbling and dithering about,they decide to step in and solve the problem with a wave of their hand.

Problem One was that a eucalyptus tree close to the house in my neighbour's property has grown so tall (currently about 20 feet or more) that it is blocking all sunlight in my small garden and is as high as the second storey and heading for the third storey. It was planted by the previous neighbour about two years ago and was quite a small unassuming bush way back then. But over the past two years it has shot up in height and width, so as to completely block sun and view from my windows, let alone garden. It is also a wishy-washy grey-green colour which immediately dampens my spirits every time I see it. A more vibrant green would somehow be more cheerful. The neighbour who lives there now has only been there about 10 months and I did not want to cause trouble by moaning to her so soon about it. I hoped she might do something about it herself, but as it does not block her light (the sun actually shines on it most of the day!) she would probably not foresee any problem. I worrited about it so much, shared my headache with others but just did not have the heart to say anything to the neighbour. But all through this summer every time I went into my second-storey lounge and saw the monster looming at the window and ever upwards, my heart sank.

The other problem I had was that in decluttering and decorating all the rooms of the house, I have had a lot of things to throw away. Some have gone into the back of my car and been taken to the dump. Others have been taken to local charity shops. But there is one item that was giving me a headache.It was an old single mattress that had once been Kay's as a little girl. It was still in very good condition but lacked a fire safety regulations label on it, which meant that charity shops would not touch it with a barge pole. Not even the Salvation Army would have it for their homeless shelters. It had not been snapped up after I advertised it on ebay and was far too big and bulky to get into my car to take to the dump. It stood in the garage taking up far too much space and tripping me up every time I went in there.

As I say, not much in the grand scheme of things, but both problems kept worming away.Worm, worm, worm. Then suddenly, wave of hand, problems solved. A few weeks ago my neighbour asked me if I would mind if she cut down the eucalyptus tree between us as it was far too big, she was worried about the roots undermining the foundations as it is so close to the house etc etc. Would I mind? I tried to be as nonchalent as I could in my reply, affirming that I would have no objection in the slightest!!!!! (I am still waiting for it to happen, mind you, but at least the tree is not worrying me any more).

This morning another neighbour in our cul-de-sac knocked on the door to thank me for a favour I had done and asked if I had anything I needed taking to the dump. I laughed and jokingly said "a bed"? No sooner had I said it, then he had whipped the mattress out of my garage and into the back of his estate car. As I write it is probably now languishing in the dump.

Thank you, guardian angel I shall sleep easier tonight. Both problems well and truly solved. Isn't life funny?

21 comments:

Eliza said...

Oh I'll have to find myself a guardian angel like that.

Flibbertigibbet said...

I won't mention it again, I promise, but you could have advertised your single mattress on your local Freegle group. Someone would have been able to use it and would have collected it from you. Items offered on Freegle do not have to be tested or have fire labels.

Anyway - I'm very glad to hear that your problems have (very nearly) been solved. :-)

ADDY said...

Thanks for the tip flibbertigibbet. I did go on the Freegle site yesterday but, unless I misunderstood, it seemed to suggest I would get loads of emails each day from other people selling stuff and I already have a lot of spam email to deal with. I would have preferred ideally to give it to a good home, as it was still in very good condition.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! You'll sleep better now.

God result.

SP

AGuidingLife said...

yey for you. I have a willow tree worrying me the same way, I must must do something about it.

Sweet Lily said...

Excellent! ;D

DogLover said...

Addy, if you do decide some time to use freegle the answer may be to have a new email address solely for it and then, when you have got rid of the item, you can just never use that address again.

Nota Bene said...

It's karma

ChrisB said...

Oh I know what a wonderful feeling that must be - it's great when you get annoying long-term niggles sorted. Great Stuff!!

Furtheron said...

shows that good things will come to you

Spencer Park said...

Hooray - I think it is a little bit of Karma - good things happening to a good person.

Ellen said...

Isn't is great when things like that happen. I expect your neighbour is waiting for all the leaves to fall before having the tree taken down. Just think of all that sunlight coming your way.

www.retiredandcrazy.com said...

I can identify 100% with that Addy. I worry away at a problem and they, heypresto, the solution seems to present itself to me. Why don't I remember this when the next problem arises? Is it the energy of the worrying that makes the thing happen? No, that's getting a tad too deep and is totally unrealistic. In fact it's a mad thought! Forget I even said it!!

mrsnesbitt said...

I loved your comment over on Donkey Trouser's blog I had to come and say hello!
I too am decluttering and it is no easy chore. Do you use Freecycle? I have found it invaluable!

angelsurchinsblog said...

Your neighbours sound great, and I'm glad to have learned about Freegle from Flibbertigibbet. I hate going to the dump because I always worry someone could have used the thing I'm chucking out.

the veg artist said...

Re the tree: eucalyptus trees have very poor root systems, and are prone to keeling over once they get too tall, so best cut, but, if your neighbour wanted to keep it as a shrub, she could chop it down to, say, knee height, every year, and it would stay manageable. It would produce enough growth for flower arranging every year doing this.

Flibbertigibbet said...

Hi Addy,

(In response to your comment)

You can set up the emails so you don't receive all the offer and wanted messages on the group, only view online should you wish to. Just set your email preferences to 'special notices' when you join. Job done. :-) Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

I sure could do with a guardian angel. Would love a tree in the garden but not one that blocks out the sun - I love sunlight.

Great blog you have here.

Flowerpot said...

Glad you have that guardian angel Addy you deserve it! Sleep well...

hyperCRYPTICal said...

I am glad that your Guardian Angels were able to solve your niggly problems Addy - soon you will see the sun!

Anna :o]

John Going Gently said...

people can surprise you.. nice to catch up with your writings