03 December 2012

Daylight robbery

I'm still recovering from the shock. I've sat down quietly in a darkened room and am hugging a mug of hot chocolate to calm my nerves. It's  never happened to me before, so it'll definitely take some getting used to. I expect once it's happened a few times, or I can talk it over with one or two supportive friends,  I'll come to terms with it, but nevertheless, the first time is the worst, I suppose.............

This morning I went to the local Post Office. I had about 5 small-ish ebay parcels to send, a parcel to some friends in Germany, a few stamps for the USA and Germany, and an order for sixty 2nd class stamps and ten 1st class stamps. The bill came to £66.65! I usually spend a lot in the post office every Christmas but it has always been under £40. I love sending Christmas cards to my kith and kin in the USA, Germany and around the UK, but am beginning to wonder if emails and e-cards are the way to go in the future. Either that or re-mortgage the house!

7 comments:

Nota Bene said...

Sounds like highway robbery! I suggest you sit back and relax for the rest of the week....

Eliza said...

OMG I haven't been to the post office yet! Maybe ecards are the way to go, the the real thing are so lovely to give and receive. Hope you get over the shock soon.

AGuidingLife said...

I did ecards for australia. The extra cost of the card seemed to balance out the lower postage rates. And with more tan 5 cards in one order they were half price. I'm happy. But I still paid £30 for stamps for cards in the UK :(

Dan the Mountain Man said...

The postage is going up in the USA at the end of January 2013. It seems to up even year now.

Flowerpot said...

I know - I just send my sister in law in Vermont a birthday card and it was nearly £2. Horrifying!

Elizabeth said...

I just posted a small parcel from Australia to NZ and it cost $20.
The high cost stops you posting things, then they raise the prices even more because less is being posted.

ruesedaine said...

I sent a 6-lb package via priority mail to Hong Kong from the U.S., it cost me U.S. $60.95. Was this a bargain or highway robbery?