02 January 2014

When Only a Cuddle will do

When our kids are little, hopefully the worst you, as a parent, have to worry about is a grazed knee or your little darling being sad because their bestest friend ever has fallen out with them. A plaster or a comforting cuddle soon puts the world to right again.

As your beloved offspring get older and more daring, the worries as a parent grow in proportion. Or at least they do in my case. I know I can worry for England. I admit I am a glass half-empty type of person, can always see that little chink in the sky where it might fall in and can see the worst in every situation.  The psychoanalysts would have a field-day with me. Maybe it goes back to being raised in a family where on the one side my grandmother lost two children in one week  to pneumonia/whooping cough, or on the other side my Dad's family were severely decimated by Adolf Hitler. It can sometimes make you a bit wary to stick your head out of the front door in case a rampaging tyrannosaurus rex happens to come through your front gate!


So imagine how I feel just having seen Kay disappear into the distance in her car about to do a five-hour journey round the M25 and M1 onwards to the North, going far out of her way westwards via Ealing to pick up a friend who wanted a lift that way too? To be fair she did do the trip for the first time in the other direction a few days before Christmas. Then, I spent the day worrying until there was a ring at the doorbell and she stood there in her Santa hat, but this time I watched her drive away, knowing she had at least five hours' drive before she reached her destination. Not helped by the fact that I have just received a call from her to ask for directions onto the M25 as her satnav has taken her the wrong way and she is outside a farm somewhere in Kent!

picure from www.ineedmotivation.com



8 comments:

Irene said...

I would worry about that a lot too, but I would if it had been anybody, let alone my child. She does have her mobile phone with her, doesn't she and I'm sure she is packing a gun :)

aims said...

I used to make those type of trips on weekends without giving it a thought! I wonder what my Mother thought about it now? I would drive up North to visit her for the weekend and drive South again to go back to work nearly every weekend during the summer. Funny that!

But here in Canada - where distances are so vast - driving is nothing to us. We think nothing of going on 3 day drives just for a lark! As long as we have the time the vehicle and the money - nobody gives a hoot either way.

In fact - we often judge distances on how long it takes to drive it! And of course, we don't have the same number of vehicles on the roads as you do either!

Thanks for commenting on my blog once again dear Addy! I've missed being around and reading blogs and seeing my blog friends!

xo

AGuidingLife said...

It's such a juxtaposition. You don't want to wrap themin cotton wool, but you want them to be safe. As you say it just gets harder and harder. Happy new year Addy x

Pam said...

I sympathise. My son is in the air on the way to New Zealand. I imagine the pilot knows the way but I hope the plane stays in the sky for the right amount of time.

Flowerpot said...

I'd worry too Addy but I'm sure she got there - she sounds a very capable person! Take care x

Nota Bene said...

Kent!!! She may still be on the motorway as I write this a week later....hopefully though she's arrived safely and you can relax again...

Anonymous said...

Tell me about it. I was hoping the worrying would get less when they got older, yeah, right!

CJ x

retiredandcrazy said...

Worrying does become less as you get older CJ, you just forget everything!